A Fresno Unified teacher pointing at a sentence written on a whiteboard.
Open Certificated Positions Open Certificated Lateral Positions

Requirements To Becoming A Teacher

To be considered for a certificated position, an applicant must have the following:

  1. A bachelor’s degree from a fully accredited college or university
  2. A valid California teaching credential for the level and subject area of application; or proof of eligibility for certification (letter of eligibility from college, out-of-state credential, etc.)
  3. CBEST verification, if applicable.
  4. Must meet the “No Child Left Behind” (NCLB) requirements for “Highly Qualified Teachers”. For more information on NCLB, visit https://www.cta.org.

Out of State Applicants
The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) is a State Agency responsible for many functions in California public education (K-12), including the establishment of requirements for credentials that authorize public school teaching and service; standards for subject matter programs; assessments of skill and knowledge; as well as the enforcement of professional practice standards.

For detailed information regarding California credentials, contact the Commission’s Information Services Office between 8 am and 5 pm, Monday through Friday at (888) 921-2682 or via email at credentials@ctc.ca.gov

Salary Placement

To receive credit for units, all college and university work must be submitted to the Division of Human Resources for consideration and approval. All units earned beyond the Bachelor’s Degree must be upper division or graduate, unless approval has been granted to include a specific lower division course, or courses, prerequisite or otherwise essential to the teacher’s program or post-baccalaureate studies. Lower division courses in Mathematics, Foreign Language and Physical Science not included in a teacher’s undergraduate program may generally be considered an essential part of a teacher’s program of improvement.

Years of Service Credit
Full credit is given for verified K-12 teaching experience (with credential).

Career Increment Service Credit
A maximum of five (5) years of credited service for career increment purposes will be granted for out-of-district service.

Notice To Applicants

For credentialed or certificated positions, contact (559) 457-3502 or (559) 457-3543 between 8:00 AM and 4:45 PM.

How To Apply

Go to Online Application

Back to top